[DML] Re: Fuel pump gets hot...

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "M. P. Olans" <mpolans@xxxx> wrote:

> A bunch of us bought John Hervey's air dam over the past
> year...Since asphalt temperatures can exceed 130 degrees in the
> summer, the rubber air dam directs that excessive heat away from the
> fuel tank and certainly does its job.  I had a quiet fuel pump all
> summer.

I too live in Phoenix. I purchased my D one year ago today. I always
feel I'm going to jinx myself by saying stuff like this, but after one
year and 3,444 miles I've had absolutely no fuel pump issues with what
I estimate is a three year old pump. I've driven the car almost every
weekend since I purchased it, which includes a number of 105+ degree
summer days. Nothing against John Hervey's products, but I did not
need his hot air dam in place to accomplish this.

Also, my cooling system is still original, which includes the factory
radiator. The engine ran between 195 & 210 degrees on those same 105+
degree days. This tells me a factory radiator and cooling system has
the ability to adequately cool the engine, even here in Phoenix during
the summer. Still, just because it has the "ability", it does not
necessarily mean it has durability in this climate, but the car came
here from CA in '86, and it's radiator has lasted 20 years and 18,072
miles in this climate. Plastic pieces or not, it appears to have been
a pretty decent radiator. Nonetheless, I do intend to replace it some
time this year, hopefully before I have a problem.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, it would appear to me that if
everything is functioning correctly, the car's fuel pump should not
act up or fail simply due to the outside air temperature, therefore it
should not need a crutch to help it along, and the factory cooling
system should also cool sufficiently, and if it's not, then there is a
problem unrelated to it's design. Again, I'm not a mechanic, nor an
engineer. I'm only passing along my experience over one year,
including a Phoenix spring and summer, with my particular car. I can't
say what will happen in the future if I don't keep up on preventive
maintenance. (knocking on wood, lol)

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D