Re: [DML] RE: Upgrading horns

Alex,
Here is a quick guide to installing a relay for the horns. If you are still
uncertain about this, I would recommend finding somebody comfortable with
automotive electrics to help you wire.

First buy a basic automotive relay (Radio Shack #275-226). There are 4
terminals on this relay. Two perform the actual switching of the new horn's
power and the other 2 power the coil. Take the existing power wire that
went to one of the horns and connect it to a coil terminal. Now run a wire
from the other coil terminal to a grounding point on the car. Now when you
press the horn button, the relay will click on and off.

Next you need to run a heavy gauge wire from the battery to the relay (see
if the horn manufacture recommends a minimum gauge). Make sure you put a
in-line fuse by the battery as you don't want to start a fire if the wire
shorts out! Once you get the wire to the relay, you need to connect it to
one of the switch terminals. Now just run another wire from the last switch
terminal to the positive side of the new horns. Make sure the horns are
grounded and you should be set.

The relay works as a secondary switch. Pressing the horn button in the car
simply activates the relay. The relay will now switch on the cars using the
high power wire that you just ran from the battery. If you don't want the
relay in front of the car, you can relocate it and power the coil off the
horn switch inside the car. You will just have to find where to tap the
horn wire, but the rest of the wiring will remain the same.

Hope this helps,
Chris
VIN 4099