[DML] Re: Reproduction tires needed!

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ". ." <klo@xxxx> wrote:

> I am not an engineer or an expert on this subject, but I can tell
you from what I have experienced and what I have learnt from others,
the OEM alloy wheels
> on our DeLorean's are the best in it's engineering.  If they are to
be replacements in the future, the wheels will have to be just as
strong and able for the
> safety of the driver, the passenger and as well as the people and
property surrounding or sharing the road with the DeLorean.

> ... If these wheels or others can take the punishment other then a
"dainty fast drive" and if they are "do able," maybe this is the way we
> should go?

The car was engineered to work with the wheels it came with. I'm not
an engineer, but I do know all the components of a car's suspension
are designed to work together as a complete system. From what I
understand it's not as simple as just bolting on a new set of larger
rims without having everything else in that system becoming affected
somehow. Larger wheels mean larger rotating mass, and that means more
effort to put them in motion, and more effort to stop them, right? So,
I'd accelerate slower, just what a DeLorean needs, and put more stress
on my brakes trying to stop at an increasing braking distance. Don't
we also start getting into unsprung weight issues using wheels larger
than engineered for, leading to potential controllability issues
unless you beef up the entire suspension? Some say lower profile tires
will improve handling. Wouldn't that only be the case as part of a
suspension package developed with those tires and wheels in mind? If
I'm wrong, someone educate me.

Isn't the car already know for how well it handles, especially if you
incorporate the "intended" after market Eibach springs and shocks? I
mean, I don't plan on using the car for autocross racing, so why do I
need more than Lotus gave it?

For those of you who want bigger wheels and lower profile tires for
whatever your reason, more power to ya. Call up Foose or Coddington.
They design great wheels. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of us
who don't want them. I personally simply want a matching set of GOOD
stock size performance tires available to me whenever I need them. I
don't want both a set of tires and a new set of rims someday. I don't
want to pay for it, nor do I want to change the appearance of my vehicle.

My original point was a potential call to organize the community to
put pressure on Goodyear and/or any other manufacturer to allow
vintage tire manufacturers like Coker and Universal to RE-produce
their performance tires that will fit our cars, like the stock NCTs or
the more recently discontinued Michelin XGTs. Again, Coker and
Universal cater to the smaller markets that the original manufacturers
don't anymore. As Cliff said: "It just figures, you can get tires for
a car built in 1910, but not 1981." Well, tell Coker and Universal
that you want them. That's the business they are in. And tell
Goodyear, Michelin, B.F. Goodrich, Pirelli, or whoever too that you
still want these tires, so that they will allow the vintage tires
companies to manufacture them. If they get enough requests, and see
there's a market, they will reproduce them. Then the people who want
bigger wheels can have them, and those of us who do not can have good
tires on our factory wheels.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D