Re: [DML] Re: Reproduction tires needed!

Re: [DML] Re: Reproduction tires needed!

> Larger wheels mean larger rotating mass, and that means more
> effort to put them in motion, and more effort to stop them, right?

With the right combination of low profile tires and wheel size the
circumference shouldn't be much different than original

> we also start getting into unsprung weight issues using wheels larger
> than engineered for, leading to potential controllability issues
> unless you beef up the entire suspension?

Many after market wheels are lighter than the DeLoreans and the lower
profile tires would be lighter than original sizes.

> My original point was a potential call to organize the community to
> put pressure on Goodyear and/or any other manufacturer to allow
> vintage tire manufacturers like Coker and Universal to RE-produce
> their performance tires that will fit our cars, like the stock NCTs or
> the more recently discontinued Michelin XGTs. >

I can't belive the limited runs that these companies do can equal the
performance standards that we want to deal with on the Delorean. The tires
they do for some of the classics are for cars that are never driven on an
everyday basis and probaly never approach speeds anywhere near the
limitations of the tires  In any event, the original NCT's where horrible
tires in the wet and didn't offer handling on par with Pirelli or some of
the other performance tires of that era. DeLorean went with them because of cost and
promotional deals with Goodyear. The chassis, I belive, was tuned for
Pirellis. With all this said, I agree the original wheels offer the best
look for the car. They compliment the design perfectly. Regretably I
decided to go with aftermarket wheels to get tires better suited to my
driving needs. The original wheels are sitting on the shelf waiting for some
new performance tires in the original sizes if they ever make a
re-appearance in the market.

Bruce Benson