[DML] Re: Question for owners with issues.

[DML] Re: Question for owners with issues.

Robert,

Thank you for your response to my problem concerning the hot start.
Frankly, after reading it several times, it is in my opinion clearly
an attack / flame post.

I find it interesting that nine people responded on the board to the
problem and another five emailed me directly to indicate that they
had similar situations without much resolve.  Apparently, I am not
the "Lone Ranger" when it comes to hot start problems.

Yes, I do have a manual and I find it to be of little help which is
why I enlisted the aid of the board to see if they had any practical
experience that they could share.  The manual is wonderful
scintillating reading if you want to know where the engine is located.

You say that hot start problems are not normal for the Delorean yet
the posts on this board say otherwise.  To confirm this, I took the
car to a recognized reputable vendor over five times to try and have
this issue resolved.  He replaced the fuel pump, accumulator, and
fuel distributor and still this car will not start when the engine is
hot!  He was stumped and offered no further solution.

This has nothing to do with the outside temperature so, seeing cars
start in triple digit weather really is not germane.  The problem can
happen in any ambient temperature and is solely affected by leaving
the car for a short period of time after it has run and then trying
to restart it.

I have owned many fuel injected engines in airplanes, cars, boats and
other watercraft and this car is the only one that will not start
when it is heat soaked.  I have seen similar situations with airplane
engines and you simply "boost pump" it to re-pressurize the injectors
and it starts.

Now, if you read your own board, you will see that people have
suggested that I change a relay, re-change the accumulator, change
the O rings, change the fuel distributor the check valve and the fuel
pump.  It is interesting to me that no one seems to agree on
specifically what is wrong and what I should change. I did learn, as
a result of these posts that it could be a relay which I had not
heard before, and candidly that was the purpose of asking.  I wanted
to ascertain if there were any other view points on this problem.

Lastly, the suggestion of the switch came from one of your esteemed
members not from my imagination.  I thought that at least this would
offer some piece of mind until I could find a more permanent method
of fixing the problem.

One very nice vendor suggested that I get a CIS device and I asked if
there was somewhere special to get one of these and there were three
answers.  It appears that this subject was also of interest to all
concerned.

Robert, I really don't know why you are bitter about someone asking
for assistance.  Fortunately, the Delorean is not the only car that I
own and I do not depend upon it for daily transportation.  It is
simply a "toy" and while I would like to have it operate properly I
am not convinced that it is as simple a problem as you seem to think
that it is.  Apparently, judging by the posts and the private emails
that I got many others seem to agree.

As another thoguht, from my perspective, I do not consider a Delorean
to be a high-end car.  I have several others that might be closer to
that status but yet, that is only relative as what I would think to
be high-end, Bill Gates probably would not.

Robert, since you are apparently the self-appointed moderator of the
DMC board, maybe you should post what we can or can't talk about so
that the rules are clear to all concerned.

Please cherish this post as my last contribution as I did find your
post offensive and aggressive. Fortunately, not being able to post on
this board will not place undue hardship on me or the ownership of my
car.

Lasty, any automobile that has as many posts as the Delorean car
seems to have that relate to the car simply starting when it is hot,
must have a design flaw somewhere.  Think about it......

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas@xxxx>
wrote:

> Let me start off by saying that I am not intending for this post to
be
> a flame. It's not an attack, just an honest question for people.
>
> I've been pretty dormant on this, and other lists for a while now,
but
> I have been reading some of the topics that have recently been
> discussed. Two in particular are regarding "valleyrat's" failed smog
> test, and Scott's Hot-Start issue. And I honestly have to ask this:
>
> Do any of you own a Workshop Manual?
>
> Allot of questions that I'm seeing on here are uber-simple ones that
> should already have been obvious with a workshop manual, and a
little
> automotive know how.
>
> Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that everyone here
> should be at the level of an ASE mechanic. After all, this is a
forum
> for DIY'ers seeking help. But if you're asking about an engine
running
> lean, and you've not yet hit it with a timing light, then let's
take a
> step back, and even ask how to do that, before tearing your exhaust
> system apart to shine a light into the Catalytic Convertor.
>
> Hot Start problems are NOT normal on the DeLorean, or any car that
> uses a K-Jetronic fuel injection system. I've seen DeLoreans fire-up
> in triple digit heat, and have only taken about a second-long turn
of
> the key to do so. For a beater Volvo that ends up on some
> "Buy-Here/Pay-Here" car lot in the middle of the ghetto, yes, the
> Hot-Start relay is needed, because it's assumed that people will NOT
> properly maintain these cars in the long run. For a high-end car
such
> as the DeLorean, it's assumed that proper maintenance will negate
the
> installation of a band-aid remedy.
>
> Now I know that sounds a bit harsh. And I wouldn't normally be so
> frank in my words for someone who is still getting familiar with
their
> car. But 10 YEARS and you still have this issue?    Even if you're
not
> handy with a wrench, I can understand. But at the very least, be
more
> aggressive with your mechanic and demand that the issue you paid for
> to be resolved, gets properly taken care of. Especially if you're
> already armed with the knowlege of how the affected system(s)
function.

> Like I say, I've seen DeLoreans fire up in all sorts of weather, and
> not have an issue. So this is NOT a "design flaw" with the DeLorean
> car itself. If there is any flaw in this case, it's flawed diagnotic
> procedure that's been performed on your car by both your mechanic,
AND
> by you (that "design flaw" statement is insulting to me, and other
> owners who's cars operate properly). It's a machine, not a deity.
> Money means nothing to it. So throwing cash at the car's issue(s)
will
> not appease the gremlins inside, and make the issue magicly go away.
>
> You've got two potential issues: 1. Electrical, or 2. Fuel Pressure.
> And if it is Fuel Pressure related (as it typicly is), you need to
> perform the proper diagnotic procedure to determine it as such. THEN
> determine what has to be replaced, and start the diagnosis procedure
> over again if it's still not resolved.
>
> I don't care if you buy *new* stuff from John Hervey, or 25 year old
> *NOS* parts from DMCH. Age has nothing to do with the fact that some
> parts may leave the factory defective. So just because it was
replaced
> once, doesn't mean that the new part is any better off than the
> *defective* one you replaced. Assuming of course that proper
> troubleshooting is what determined it to be bad in the first place.
>
> You have 5 components of the Fuel Injection system that are
> responsible for maintaining fuel pressure while the system is at
rest.
> Performing the reccomending system test will help you determine
which,
> if any, of these components are at fault.
>
> Now I know that this post has sounded a bit mean, but believe me,
it's
> more of a "tough love" message here. My solution for you isn't to
take
> the car into a vendor to get the issue fixed. No, I think that it's
> high time you hunker down, and bust a few knuckles fixing the issue
> yourself. Unless someone doesn't have a cost-prohibative tool (ie.
> alignment rack, exhaust gas analyser), or they lack valuable
> experience in a particular area (ie. MVAC, or electronics repair)
that