[DML] Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN

I have recently purchased the car in Colorado and drove it back to
California. The PO said that he put nothing but premium in the tank
and I have followed suite. The fuel in the tank is only a week old.
I do not know when the last tune up was done, I am doing one myself
along with replacing the O2 sensor, changing the oil and installing
a new cat. There is a tick coming from the right hand valve train
(confirmed by Delorean Motor Company in Garden Grove) so I will also
be re-gapping the valves. I also had Don check and adjust the
mixture but I gather that if my O2 sensor is bad that will not mean
much.  Out side of the work I am doing on the car (previously
mentioned) I do not know what else could be the problem. Also I am
not aware of any major work that was done to the engine in the
recent past aside from a fuel system work over done by the PO. (It
had sat for a while before he bought it) The tank was cleaned and a
new fuel pump was installed.

BTW I got 26 miles to the gallon on the drive home, sounds like a
healthy engine to me. Or could it indicate a lean condition? I
figured Delorean Motor Company would have caught that. If it fails
again I will be at aloss. (and in trouble with my wife....) :(

Nathan

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas@xxxx>
wrote:

> You really can't clean the injectors yourself. The BOSCH shops that
> clean them simply run some solvent thru them for a short period of
> time. That's great if you've got a bit of gum that's clogging up
the
> injectors, but can't clear out hard debris, or repair a weak
spring.
> So it's probably more economical to just replace all of the
injectors,
> rather than to clean them, IF they are clogged.
>
> But first of course, you have to verify that you HAVE clogged fuel
> injectors. You could do this with six baby food jars, and a bit of
> patience. Check for proper spray pattern, and an equal
displacement of
> fuel. HOWEVER...
>
> You stated that your numbers on HydroCarbons were 18 & 16. I'm
> *assuming* that these are the variances on a two-speed emissions
test,
> because they're simular to what my car was putting out when
properly
> tuned. Now as a comparison, I had a single clogged injector. And
here
> are the results off my car:
>
> 152ppm HC/.22%CO @ 2,500 RPM & 1138ppm/.48%CO @ 750 RPM
>
> Your results are no where near what I had, so I wouldn't
immediately
> think of this being a clogged injector since it doesn't look like
your
> issue is an incomplete burn in the combustion chamber. My initial
> guess would be either bad gas, or the engine is running too lean.
But