[DML] Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN

You really can't clean the injectors yourself. The BOSCH shops that
clean them simply run some solvent thru them for a short period of
time. That's great if you've got a bit of gum that's clogging up the
injectors, but can't clear out hard debris, or repair a weak spring.
So it's probably more economical to just replace all of the injectors,
rather than to clean them, IF they are clogged.

But first of course, you have to verify that you HAVE clogged fuel
injectors. You could do this with six baby food jars, and a bit of
patience. Check for proper spray pattern, and an equal displacement of
fuel. HOWEVER...

You stated that your numbers on HydroCarbons were 18 & 16. I'm
*assuming* that these are the variances on a two-speed emissions test,
because they're simular to what my car was putting out when properly
tuned. Now as a comparison, I had a single clogged injector. And here
are the results off my car:

152ppm HC/.22%CO @ 2,500 RPM & 1138ppm/.48%CO @ 750 RPM

Your results are no where near what I had, so I wouldn't immediately
think of this being a clogged injector since it doesn't look like your
issue is an incomplete burn in the combustion chamber. My initial
guess would be either bad gas, or the engine is running too lean. But
the issue isn't something that can easily be solved, without a little
background on the car.

When did the car last past smog?
Have you verified that there are no vacuum leaks?
Has anyone performed a valve adjustment since it last passed smog?
Before your fresh tank of fuel, how long ago were the last two tanks
of gas?
Since it was last tuned, have you done ANY work in the engine compartment?
How rough is the idle?

Many Smog Check stations in California should offer a "Pass, or you
don't Pay" promise on emissions testing. So you shouldn't need to
plunk down cash each time you have the car tested.

If bad fuel is the case, a bottle of Techron should help to clean it
up. After the various chemicals I've poured into my car, that's the
ONLY additive I'd reccomend adding.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"