Re: [DML] Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN

Hello Nathan

One of the reasons for your failed emissions might be the prolonged use of
premium fuel. I am assuming that you mean 93 octane. Higher octane gas
causes deposits to form inside the cylinders and in the exhaust system. That
in turn will over time cause the compression to be raised. With that you
will get higher temperatures in the center of the cylinders along with
unburned gasoline close to the edges of the cylinders. The DeLorean engine
was designed to use 87 octane gasoline and this is what you should use.
Using 93 will just cost you much more and will not do any good for the car.
Before you go to test the emissions again make sure to burn all of the 93
you have in the tank and then fill it up with 87. Then go for an hour long
drive at highway speeds. This should clean up a lot of the deposits left
from using 93 octane fuel. From there go directly to the testing station.
Try not to get stuck in traffic as idling for prolonged period of time will
again cause deposits to start forming.
I posted about the use of 93 gas in the past, but I guess it's a good idea
to mention that again for new members on the list.
BTW, 87 octane in USA is the same as 91 in Europe.

Good luck

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
tomciodmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx