[DML] Re: Why I love David Teitelbaum's posts

[DML] Re: Why I love David Teitelbaum's posts

I say it is not accurate because of the diameter of the tires (you
could have worn or different size tires on the car) it is hard to read
the exact RPM, if you are between RPM's you have to interpolate, etc.
I have mine laying on the ledge right in front of the clear lense in
the front of the binnicle so if the speedometer should fail all I have
to do is pick it up and lay it against the clear lense so I can see
it. I laminated mine so it lays flat and won't blow away. I did not
realize you said you were not in your car. I find driving the Delorean
I always feel I am going faster than I really am. My daily driver is a
Tahoe so I am more used to being up higher than the Delorean. The
lower you are the faster you seem to go. Anyway, even a speedometer is
not "accurate", they have a + - tolerance of 5% which can be a lot. My
point is at least it is something. If you happen to have a police car
folowing you the logical thing to do would be to err on the low side
so if the limit is 55 you might aim for 50, that is what I mean
"keeping you out of trouble". If you are on a busy road and keeping up
with traffic it is not the same as being the only car on an empty road
and running into a radar trap and not having any idea how fast you are
going. As for the speedometer failing commonly, I wonder how many fail
because of lack of lubrication, missing support bracket for the lower
cable, and parts getting stuck in the speedometer mechanism. Some cars
never have any problems and some eat angle drives regularly. GPS is
nice but it can be just another distraction like cell phones and the
way I see it today's driver has too many distractions. I can always
tell when the driver ahead of me is on a cell phone, they can't stay
in their lane!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757