Re: [DML] Re: Turbocharger availability

The photos are only of the top of the engine, and
looks somewhat impressive.

The thing that strikes me as odd is all of the
flexible "dryer hose" used on the cold air intake
before the turbo.  From the stock inlet port in the
fiberglass body (which is WAY too small for a turbo
application), then past the air filter down to the
turbo.

In the early years of my ownership of 6068 with the
Island kit, I felt it would be better to try and get
cold air from the outside as opposed to the standard
setup that pulls the air from inside the engine
compartment right above the exhaust manifold using the
stock air box.  The logical solution, a flexible hose
run from the filter box to the stock inlet on the
fiberglass body.  I used a metal goose-neck style
hose, and found that withing a few short "under boost"
runs, the hose had actually collapsed and killed my
performance.

I suspect the suction on the flexible line from the
air box to the turbo on this "DMC ONLY TURBO" is even
higher that between the filter and atmosphere.

So, I find it hard to believe that the flexible hose
in this installation would allow enough air flow for
230HP. You have to suck in huge volumes of air to
compress it to 7.5PSI and maintain it to fill 2.8L
even at 3500rpm..  Maybe someone wants to calculate
that all out and tell us what the diameter of pipe
needed for that volume of air is?  Keep in mind, that
flexible hose will SHRINK under suction.

--- captain_hydrogen <captainhydrogen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I will post some pictures that I took of Harry
> Ward's car under the
> heading of DMC ONLY TURBO KIT.  If anyone is
> interested in using
> these pictures on their web sites, please remember
> to reference me as
> your source.  If you have any questions about the
> content of the
> pictures, please let me know and I will do my best
> to answer or
> generate questions. :)
<SNIP>

Just $16.99/mo. or less.