Re: [DML] Re: Turbocharger availability

Hi Ben

Not to attack you because I know you're only repeating what you've heard
but...

>There have been at least three DeLorean-specific turbo kits available
>over the years.  The Island Twin Turbo Kit, the BAE Single Turbo Kit,
>and the DMC ONLY Intercooled Single Turbo Kit from Harry Ward.  As
>far as I know, all of these kits used IHI Turbos in either single or
>twin configuration.

I *thought* the BAE kit was so-called because it used a BAE turbo. I've
heard from the owner of one over here that it's actually off an aircraft
engine. Could be wrong though!

>The Island Kit makes about 210 HP and I think
>the BAE Kits makes about the same.

Not without some modifications that go beyond those specified in the
installation instructions. For starters, as you say, neither use
intercoolers. The Alpine GTA and Renault 25 turbo pushed out 200hp on
8psi of boost into a 2.5, and that's with an intercooler and compresion
ratio of 7.6:1

>The lesser known DMC ONLY Kit
>claims to make your DeLorean "200+ H.P.".  I know more about the DMC
>ONLY Kit mainly because I own the last kit Harry Ward put together.
>The instructions specify the use of an IHI RH136 turbo, but when I
>met Harry Ward in California in the summer of 2004, he was using an
>IHI RHB6T-542 turbo pushing 9 psi and putting out 250 - 260 HP.  This
>was possible through the use of an intercooler and his special
>instructions for fuel enrichment.

I am very dubious about these figures. There are many reasons for this
but one very basic reason is as follows: We know that under normal
aspiration, the DeLorean engine knocks out 130hp. Now all other things
being equal, you have to get twice the amount of air and fuel into it to
generate twice the power. That means running a bar of boost - 14.7psi or
thereabouts. And that's assuming everything else is tuned to accept it.

> He told me that with
>his kit, he has pushed more than 10 psi. at certain times in his
>ownership, and that he has hit about 320 HP on the same PRV-6.  He
>also says that he has never had to open the engine and make any
>changes to the internals either.

Again, highly unlikely. Considering the most powerful 12v PRV put into a
production car (I'm choosing my words carefully because even then, it's
a hybrid) was the 3 litre even fire in the Venturi Atlantique 300 at
281bhp. It runs a compression of close to 7:1 and a bar of boost!

To go over the magic 300 barrier with a proper even fire turbo 3 litre
PRV means running boost of 20psi.

I think I need to add to my article :-)

Martin
DMC Ltd