[DML] Re: Turbocharger availability

Pat,

There have been at least three DeLorean-specific turbo kits available
over the years.  The Island Twin Turbo Kit, the BAE Single Turbo Kit,
and the DMC ONLY Intercooled Single Turbo Kit from Harry Ward.  As
far as I know, all of these kits used IHI Turbos in either single or
twin configuration.  The Island Kit makes about 210 HP and I think
the BAE Kits makes about the same.  The lesser known DMC ONLY Kit
claims to make your DeLorean "200+ H.P.".  I know more about the DMC
ONLY Kit mainly because I own the last kit Harry Ward put together.
The instructions specify the use of an IHI RH136 turbo, but when I
met Harry Ward in California in the summer of 2004, he was using an
IHI RHB6T-542 turbo pushing 9 psi and putting out 250 - 260 HP.  This
was possible through the use of an intercooler and his special
instructions for fuel enrichment.  He also had made his own knock
sensor and a few other James Bond-like gadgets.  He told me that with
his kit, he has pushed more than 10 psi. at certain times in his
ownership, and that he has hit about 320 HP on the same PRV-6.  He
also says that he has never had to open the engine and make any
changes to the internals either.  This year I bought the last kit he
had remaining in his shop sans the turbo and the turbo-back exhaust
system.  Harry Ward did say that if there was enough interest, he may
consider making turbo kits again, but as of this writing, he is no
longer making them.  I might consider parting with this kit if I
still haven't installed it by the Spring of 2006.  Let me know if you
have any questions.

BTW - AZ-D Club Mechanic, Ryan Gould had a DeLorean with Harry Ward's
DMC ONLY kit and let Don Steger of DeLorean Motor Center take it
around the block.  According to Ryan, "Don said that his was the
fastest turbo with an automatic transmission that he had ever driven."

Thank you,
Ben Ferguson (Captain Hydrogen)
Arizona DeLorean Club, Car Cruise Director - VIN 10365