[DML] Re: 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO

[DML] Re: 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO

Hello.

Sorry to hear about your wacky ignition.  It sounds like my bike.
Here are some questions.

Are you really sure the leads are plugged in?
Is the distributor cap installed slightly crooked?
Is the rotor installed correctly?
Can the distributor cap be moved around while installed?  (Don't
electrocute yourself moving the distributor cap around with the car
running)

It sounds very much like the rotor is off center in the distributor
cap, perhaps closer to one side (the side that fires) than the other
side (the side that doesn't) or misaligned in some way that nobody
can visualize, though it's hard to imagine how that could happen.

That's the most plausible explanation I can come up with for THREE
adjacent leads (on the distributor cap) not firing.  If it were only
1 lead, I'd think different.

How good is the ignition coil itself?  Ignition coils are cheap, so
I'd buy a known good new one just to troubleshoot.  Perhaps there is
a very slight off-centerness in the rotor/cap assembly that's just
enough to deplete the spark energy from a weak coil, in a way that
wouldn't happen with a strong coil.

It's not likely to be a grounding problem with the block.  It's tens
of thousands of volts (unless your coil is bad).  Speaking of which,
it's probably best not to run the car continuously for long periods
until you sort this out.  The spark energy that's not making it to
the plugs is probably being dissipated in the coil.

Good luck.  You'll get it.  It's pretty cool that it runs so well on
half its cylinders.  Imagine how good it will run will all of them,
though it's probably going to backfire really terrible on all that
unburnt gas for a few revolutions.

Rick Gendreau.