Re: [DML] 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO

Re: [DML] 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO

I have no idea what could be causing this :( , or how to
intentionally cause it.  The block could not isolate the ground for
only one bank.  The coil wouldn't cause only half the plugs to fire,
consistently, all the time.

It could be that because the plug wires on the passenger's side are
longer than the ones on the driver's side, so the resistance of the
wires causes the spark to jump out somewhere else.  Possibly it is
the coil, or rotor.  Try taking one of the wires from the side that
works and put it on the distributor in place of one of the non-
working wires.  Does it work now?
How long of an arc can the coil throw?  Take one of your good wires
with a plug in it and have an assistant crank the car while you
slowly move the plug away from ground.  MAKE SURE YOU USE a grounded
set of pliers for this or you WILL GET SHOCKED.  Take a jumper and
run it from your pliers to the engine block.  This will give the
electricity a place to go rather than through you.
You should get a spark at least 3/4" long.  If not something is too
weak.
Let us know what you find.

Matt Smtih

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "odell_andy" <odell_andy@xxxx> wrote:

> thanks for your help guys. my car (or me) is Jinxed.
> i have the 3 groups of 2 distributor cap. it is really starting to
> annoy me that you have to dismantle so much to get the distributor
> off.
> i definately have no spark on 1,2,3  and great spark on 4,5,6.
>
> i have now had 3 mechanics look at the car, they have all said its
> not possible to have only 3 sparking unless it had 2 distributors.
(i
> have all new leads, (except coil to dis) yet all mechanics
confirmed
> the problem after looking at the car.
> Would it be possible for the coil to cause this? or....
> someone said maybe the distributor is from a 4 cylinder car so...
> the distributor has BOSCH 0 237 402 023 and TGRU6 (THE R IS
POSSIBLY
> A P) is this the right part?  (looks right in photo from
> specialtauto. couldnt see part # though.
> ROTOR ARM PART # BOSCH 123433  (THERE IS A CIRCLE WITH 2177 R5 IN
IT)