[DML] Re: Possible Alternator trouble and more

[DML] Re: Possible Alternator trouble and more

  Check the tension of the alternator drive belt.  Other than that
you might have an alternator bearing problem, though that usually
dosen't cause a charging problem until it gets really bad.  Stranger
things have happened...
  You could also have a wiring problem between the alternator and the
battery.  The power from the alternator is not reaching the battery,
causing the alternator to put out its max output to try to bring the
voltage up, this loads the drive belt more and makes it slip.  Also
you could have a failing battery, not likely though.
  You should get a voltmeter and fashion some long leads (I use these
great retractable leads that are 10' long and wind back into a spool
for easy tangle-free storage).  First check your battery voltage
across the battery terminals while driving.  Should be 13.5-14.5ish
all the time.  Now hook one lead to the main output of the alternator
and one to the positive battery terminal (using those long leads) and
drive again, if you measure more than 0.5v you have a problem.  Now
do the same between the alternator case and the negative battery
terminal.  Again, more than 0.5v is a red flag.
If the battery voltage is really low and there is no drop in the
cables, and the small wires on the alt are correct, you have an
alternator problem.  I would check the belt tension first.  Also try
turning on the high beams and the blower, and the A/C.  Really load
the system to see if you can get the problem to duplicate in your
driveway.
  Hope this helps,
Matt Smith

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "usndmc" <usndmc@xxxx> wrote:
> A little over a month ago I replaced my original 90-amp Motorola
> with a D150 from John Hervey
> Everything was working great the last month, until about 5 days
ago