[DML] Re: #4004 on ebay

After a car's been flooded, mileage on the odometer is the least of
your worries and should have no impact on the value of the car.

Anyone buying a flood car to rebuild it has never considered what it
means. About the only remaining value on a car like this is probably
the stainless and the frame itself (unless already rusted). (Yeah,
the fiberglass is good but doesn't have any value). A few days
underwater won't hurt the "hard parts" but like Mike said, anything
that moves or is electrical right down to the little vacuum canisters
on the heater is junk. Being submerged several feet is much different
from being sprayed with rain water. There isn't much that's truly
sealed against being under water, so everything is full of wet sand.
Ball joints, CV joints, relays, radio -  everything. Some of it will
fail right away, some not for months. But it's all bad.

At least this guy's saying it's a flood car, it's pretty obvious that
he's out to make a few bucks (what's wrong with that?) and he did go
to the effort of buying it, dragging it back home, and pulling parts
that he could use off the car.  Actually he'd probably make more
money and catch less criticism if he just parted it out. In that case
the parts buyers would have no idea it was a flood car either. Would
that be better or worse? My guess is that's what will happen with the
next owner, and no one will know.

The only way to restore a car like this is to find a donor car that
was in the right kind of accident (rollovers are good!) to donate all
the soft parts/mechanical parts. And then don't count your time. When
you're all done you'll have a $16,000 car with a "flood salvage"
title or a "totaled" title depending on which one you use the VIN
from.

Dave Swingle