[DML] Re: AC Question - 3 of them with a little surrounding information.

[DML] Re: AC Question - 3 of them with a little surrounding information.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "seanhagan" <seanhagan@xxxx>
wrote:

> Here are my problems - I've only had the car for 2 months.
> 1. The AC Turns on, and seems to blow a cool puff of air when it
> initializes. However longer than 1 minute, and it is the same as the
> outside temperature, so it had might as well not be on.

If it starts out cold then goes to outside temp then my guess is you have
a vacuum issue somewhere allowing the door that controls where the
air is flowing to and from to open letting the fan either pull air from
outside instead of through the condenser (or evaporator.. i allways
forget which is which. the one inside the car) or it's allowing heater air
to mix with the AC thus negating any cooling effects as well.  Another
possibility could be the condenser is freezing up and not letting air flow
through it, but 1 minute seems alittle fast for that to happen to me.

> I initially thought that i was low on R-12, so I was going to simply
> flush out the R-12, drain the mineral oil, and fill it all with R-
> 134 and the necessary oil required (forget what it is called off-
> hand as I type this).

If you switch to 134a you should at minimum change the accumulator as
well. It's full of dessicant and there's no way of purging it of the mineral
oil.

> I still have R-12 in the system. I hooked up a pressure monitor to
> the low and high valves off the compressor in the engine bay, and
> both sides registered about 22psi (Engine was not running)
> I do know that if you want to run R-134, it should be higher, but it
> was in the correct range for the R-134, therefor, I am assuming that
> the pressure for the R-12 is OK.
>
> Thank you
>       Sean - 003372

Rest pressure isn't really that important. It mainly just tells you there's
freon in the system. The pressures with the engine running and the AC
on are what tell you how the system is operating. You need to check
these to see if the AC is still actually working even if it's not blowing cold
air. This will help determine if you have an AC system problem, or
simply a vacuum or ducting problem up front. Also see if the compressor
cycles like it should or if it just runs constantly.

Chris
VIN# 3209