[DML] AC Question - 3 of them with a little surrounding information.

[DML] AC Question - 3 of them with a little surrounding information.

First and formost, I want to appologize for starting the Zilla
versus others conversation... Did not want to open up sore wounds.

I know there have been alot of posts about Air Conditioning as we
have just finished up with the summer. I did not find the answer in
the old messages about my first problem and description.

Unfortunately where I live, it is still rather warm here, and during
the day, AC is still needed (These cars seem to really attract the
heat)

Here are my problems - I've only had the car for 2 months.
1. The AC Turns on, and seems to blow a cool puff of air when it
initializes. However longer than 1 minute, and it is the same as the
outside temperature, so it had might as well not be on.

I initially thought that i was low on R-12, so I was going to simply
flush out the R-12, drain the mineral oil, and fill it all with R-
134 and the necessary oil required (forget what it is called off-
hand as I type this).

I still have R-12 in the system. I hooked up a pressure monitor to
the low and high valves off the compressor in the engine bay, and
both sides registered about 22psi (Engine was not running)
I do know that if you want to run R-134, it should be higher, but it
was in the correct range for the R-134, therefor, I am assuming that
the pressure for the R-12 is OK.

In reading other posts, I would venture to guess that the switches
low and high pressure are shot, or do i need a higher PSI for the R-
12. (I am happy to see that I am not losing the charge that I have)
Since I do not know the correct standing pressure for R-12, I am
asking this question.

When the car is running, both the cooling fans seem to be running,
and the engine temperature is pretty low (i was amazed at how cool
the car ran without the AC on)

2. When the AC is running (ie switched on through the console),
coming out of the vents smells like exhaust. I find this one very
strange. As I understand air conditioning, it should be pulling air
from the outside. I do know of one hole that does not seem to be
sealed correctly between the engine compartment and that is for the
wiring coming off of the light switch when you open the engine
compartment lid, the grommet is there but does not stay in.

Could it be that the duct work is really dirty, and needs to be
cleaned. The passenger blower fan motor (when on actually sounds
like a cricket) is shot and burning out? When it comes to automotive
AC, i am really in the dark. Or am I actually getting exhaust in
from the engine compartment, and the AC is simply recirculating it?

I just replaced the rear window seal thinking that was the culprit
for the smell when the AC is on.

Emission tested the vehicle, it passed with flying colours...

3. Stupid question, which valve on ac compressor is the high, and
which is the low. I have vin 003372. Looking at the AC compressor
from the rear of the car, they are right beside each other, with the
same size fittings. One is left, and one is about 2 inches away to
the direct right. I have seen the picture of the R-134 valve
conversion on the specialtauto.com site, and it would appear that
the low is on the left, but I would like confirmation.

4. Is there another fuse that just may be shot (other than the
possible 2 pressure switches)?

Thank you
      Sean - 003372