[DML] Re: AC Question - 3 of them with a little surrounding information.

[DML] Re: AC Question - 3 of them with a little surrounding information.

  Here's a few bits of information that hopefully will help.
(disclaimer, this isn't how you're supposed to convert to 134)
  That said, it's exactly what I did to convert my D.  It has only
been a few months so I'm still waiting to see the long term success.
Sometimes the hoses won't hold the 134, as the molecules are actually
smaller and can permeate hoses and seals that the 12 did not.

  22psi at rest tells me that the system is undercharged.  However to
get a real idea of the operation hook up your gauges and start the
engine and turn on your A/C.  You should see the low side drop to 10-
20psi (roughly) and the high side climb to 150-200psi (rough).  Not
that ambient temperature and engine compartment tem can affect
pressures.  Ambient mostly affects rest pressure.  Again, unless it
is very cold when you checked, you have an undercharged system.

  About the exhaust smell -- I have no idea.  The HVAC (heating,
ventilation, air conditioning) system brings in fresh air from a vent
near the windshield wipers on all settings except MAX, then it opens
a vent near the passengers feet to draw air from inside the car.

  And for your last question, which is not as stupid as you seem to
think, the low side valve is on the driver's side of the compressor.
Or, the leftmost of the two valves as you stand looking at the engine.

  I'm an ASE certified tech, which is what I do for a living (work on
cars) just in case you wonder where I pulled this from :)

Hope it helps,
Matt

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "seanhagan" <seanhagan@xxxx> wrote:
> I initially thought that i was low on R-12, so I was going to
simply
> flush out the R-12, drain the mineral oil, and fill it all with R-
> 134 and the necessary oil required (forget what it is called off-
> hand as I type this).
>
> I still have R-12 in the system. I hooked up a pressure monitor to
> the low and high valves off the compressor in the engine bay, and
> both sides registered about 22psi (Engine was not running)
> I do know that if you want to run R-134, it should be higher, but
it
> was in the correct range for the R-134, therefor, I am assuming
that
> the pressure for the R-12 is OK.

[moderator snip]