Re: [DML] FanZilla versus the EBay competitor for Fan ControllerIdle Sta

Re: [DML] FanZilla versus the EBay competitor for Fan ControllerIdle Stall

At the risk of moving outside the bounds of the DML, but seeing as you
asked so -nicely- (that's British sarcasm BTW), I will give you specifics.

1) The FanZilla: Great concept, great execution from a reliability point
of view, but should have evolved with the rest of the electronic world
in the past 12 years..Perhaps then it'd be a bit more affordable - and
not more expensive than a new alternator! (I'd like to check this before
I send, but can't access pjgrady.com ATM) It should include some
improved functionality that would show up an open circuit as well as a
short circuit - a failure that's more likely especially given the flaw
in the design of the fan motors (drain hole at the front, tilted
backwards, happened to me) and part of the original fan fail module.
Definitely cleverer than any alternative or other aftermarket
replacement, and more reliable than the "jumper" wires. However at that
price, it only covers some of the bases I'd like to see it cover before
offering it to my customers.

2) LockZilla: Way too expensive. I don't know the specifics but am
awaiting the chance to dismantle one to find out once and for all if
it's truly redesigned or just, as are ours at 1/4 the price, a rebuilt
stock module with new sealed relays and beefier components. I've had
zero failures to date, but haven't been going 12 years. I'd love to put
my redesigned unit into production, but it's not worth it.

3) TankZilla: 3rd party sender machined to fit the hole with a box of
tricks to make it work on the DeLorean's electrics. Great, if it's
reliable, but very expensive given that the DMCH unit came in at less
than half the price and is a properly designed drop-in replacement.
These facts alone speak volumes, IMO

My contributions to this thread on the DML has been to help owner get
his car to stop stalling at idle, and to pass on my measurements for the
cooling fans' current draw! I passed no comment on the FanZilla on this
mailing list in this thread. You brought me into this.

I do not take any Zilla product owners (ZPO's has a certain ring as an
acronym methinks!) as "gullible idiots". I do like my customers to be in
full posession of the facts, and if I use my degree in electronics to
that end, please forgive me. Everyone, by all means go out and buy Zilla
products, they're reliable, but expensive, and not as good as they could
be. All in my opinion, of course. Something I'm always careful to say

Martin
DeLorean Motor Cars Ltd
www.delorean.co.uk