[DML] Re: Strange acceleration problem ( For Rob Grady)

[DML] Re: Strange acceleration problem ( For Rob Grady)

I am really surprised that no one seems focused on the delay valve
that is THE functioning piece for cold acceleration. If that delay
valve is out of spec you will have cold engine hesitation. I have
had three DeLoreans and two failed. I have used a white cap delay
valve as a replacement - my preference, as it has been closer to
specs than OEM. Solved my hesitation problems instantly.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180@xxxx> wrote:

> Rob,
>
> I too have a very similar experience when I Start my engine cold
and then immediately try
> to take off at a quick pace without letting the car warm up for a
minute.  As I get to a
> certain rpm under acceleration the engine will suddenly fall off
and backfire pretty loud.  I
> let up on the accelerator a bit so it stops and continue at a less
agressive pace. it usually
> only happens once when cold. it generally goes away a half mile
further down the road.

> I replaced my fuel filter 4-5 years ago and even then my fuel
system was quite clean inside
> the tank.  I was in their this spring and everything was quite
good. I could understand
> changing the filter if you went into the tank found rust and
disintragated rubber
> everywhere.  But mine is clean. I won't rule out changing it, but
I would like to know what

instantly and idles smooth @ 775
> unless it is really cold say less than 50 degrees out then it
might idle hunt a little for 3-4
> ups and downs before being constant.
>
> On a diffenet note:
>
> I have a friend who's car will not hot start, even if he just
turned it off and goes to restart.
> Although it will restart if you do the CPR connector swap on the
cold start valve. I was
> under the car a month ago and did a test where we ran the car with
the  small return line
> running into a jar to see if the accumulator was bad.  After the
initial start-up
> pressurization of the system, which of coarse pushed fuel out of
the spring side of the
> accumulator, the flow almost stopped but did continue to drip
albeit very slowly  but was
> constant. I just can't imagine that this would make the car not
restart after shutting it off 5
> seconds earlier. He has replaced the fuel pump and the O-rings in
the fuel distibutor. The
> only thing left is the accumulator ,which he has, but hasn't
gotten around to changing yet.
> Are their any other possilities?
>
>  He also has cold weather hesitation although it is much different
than my symptoms. His
> car will stumble slightly when  when accelerating say for the
first 10 minutes after the car
> has been started cold. it feels more like a mis in the engine than
an all out lean situation
> he's done an ignition tune up with no change. He runs a can of B-
12 thru it every few
> months, with no change. I even swapped my CPR for his to try see
if that might be the
> problem. no change their either accept he thought the car didn't
accelerate as well with my
> unit than his. so we switched them back, and his car ran fine
again. My car runs fine with
> my CPR so I'm not sure what the deal is their either.Many times he
has to depress the
> accelerator half way to the floor and then it will eventually
start. His car has been that way
> since he's owned it (5 years) it almost acts like it's flooded. On
the other hand my car
> always starts immediatley by just turning the key. We have been
chasing this mystery quite
> some time now.
>
> Rob, any suggestions would grately appreciated.
>
>   Dennis
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <rob@xxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Dan,
> >
> > Before you try to trouble shoot the fuel injection I would
suggest changing
> > the fuel filter. That corrects the symptoms you describe more
than half of
> > the time. Do you know when it was last changed? A bad CPR won't
allow you to
> > accelerate at all for a few minutes with a cold engine so I
doubt it's that.

> > Rob Grady
> >
> > P.J.Grady Inc.

On Behalf Of