RE: [DML] Grady's, HRC Angle drive

To the group,

Before I rush off and make more HCR gears I'll have a talk with Stephan Winn
to find out what the hardness spec is on the new gears. Before Houston built
these new ones he asked me for input on the project and I mentioned that the
original gears were soft but I thought harder gears like the HCR's (C60)
were only a partial answer to the problem. The design of the housing allows
little capacity for lubrication so that is another stumbling block. I don't
know if the new unit's gears are harder so I'll ask him! I've had a pretty
low failure rate on the HCR's (definitely below 10% after three years) but
it's not up to the standards of the circuit boards or the Zilla products. No
matter what you do with this design it won't last forever. A completely new
(electro-magnetic?) design would be best IMHO.
 Houston invested in quite a few units to bring the price down so perhaps
Stephan could pressure the manufacturer to come up with a better solution
whether it's harder gears, better &/or more initial lubrication, quality
control or some combination of the three. That's what I tried to do with the
HCR's so maybe he can pressure the supplier to do the same? If the next
batch he makes cost some more I think it would be a fair tradeoff. The
venders have been working together more closely as of late so I don't see
why together we can't put this problem to bed and move on to more
interesting stuff for our beloved Dee's.

Rob Grady

P.J.Grady Inc.