[DML] Re: Nostalgic DMC Video

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Packodenton@xxxx wrote:

> Oh Gee!
> You're not kidding VideoBob.
>
> I found a video from 1986 from the UK that is a documentary on the
book,
> Dream Maker: The rise and fall of John Z. DeLorean by Fallon &
Strodes. WOW!
> Incredible details, excellent interviews, and footage.The film
interviews people
> that were devastated (forced into bankruptcy)  by going into
business with
> John DeLorean and Roy Nesseth.
<SNIP>

I've never heard about any old woman, and a Malibu estate. I have
heard a rumor a long time ago about some Oklahoma dealership that
claimed JZD & Nesseth swindled him out of some cash, and a restored
Mercedes Gullwing roadster. Can't remember where I read that though.

Since I don't have a copy of the video, do you have any names of these
people that you mail to me off-list? I'm a history buff (especially
about anything DeLorean related), and would like to research things a
little.

I wouldn't consider myself a "blind follower" of John DeLorean. I'm
sure that bad things have happened because of the man. But I don't
believe he was as stong an individual as many others, or even he saw
himself. I do believe that JZD wanted to create an ethical car, and
wanted it produced by an ethical company. But I don't think that he
really knew how to do it. Sure he could put together a company, but I
don't believe that he knew how to run it the way he truly intended.
Like in the book, "On a Clear Day...", he talks about how the 14th
floor runs the company, and how they fail in many ways. From
efficiency, to ethical business practices. And how people that have
been put into power by a failed system, will not turn against it for
fear of losing the power the currentlty keeps them in place. And it
has been written that when he started to run DMC, he became what he
hated @ GM. I think that's a dead-on statement that sums up allot.

John DeLorean was raised by GM. He hired many managerial people who
were also raised by GM. He had outside influences of Union
organizations, to parts suppliers who are used to doing business a
certain way. You want to start fresh, but no one can... How on earth
do you erase a business model, and replace it with another, when no
one has the solution on how to do so? It's like entering into a bull
ring, and trying to talk things thru with the bull, and make it
understand that it must laydown to let you win. You do that, you get
killed. Such is the nature of the automotive industry.

JZD could have said that he was living phone call to phone call. And
that the combination of muscle relaxers and whine didn't allow him to
keep his head clear. I've no doubt that's true, but I don't believe
that it was the root cause of everything bad. Ultimately, the load was
just more than he could bear. And with the ill-dealings, it's easy to
look down on someone for their actions. But it's another thing to try
and picture yourself in their position...

As for Nesseth, I've only heard rumors about past dealings, except for
Logan Mfg. (it was the profits from Logan that kept JZD hidden away in
his mansion all those years. Not any sort of shady deals in the
corner, nor any of that GPD money that I can find). I don't know too
much about Roy, except from what his two grown children told me. And
that was no matter what, he always made time for his own children. His
son Jeff did not appear to have a favorable opinion about JZD, but
they both said that in Roy's life, his children always came first.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"