Re: [DML] Need some Air

Japeth,

Your intake should be clean.  There is supposed to be a rubber o-ring that
goes between the air cleaner assembly and the intake, and I almost always
lose it, so make sure you have it.  I lube that area with silicone grease
also.  If this area is sealed, then the filter is the wrong type or is
incorrectly installed; the upper and lower halves of the assembly should
clamp down on the air filter edge.

The "heat stove" is designed to warm the intake air when the engine is
cold, to help the car warm up.  It is only important during the first few
minutes of cold operation, and frankly the ambient temperature here in
Texas is plenty warm about 10 months a year.  If the valve fails, however,
it can restrict the intake or heat it indefinitely, yuk.

I believe the hose from the oil cap is to create a slightly negative
pressure in the top-end, pulling out the small amount of exhaust gasses
that sneak past the piston rings.  If the valve covers were completely
sealed, they'd eventually pop or leak.  Getting the gasses out keeps them
from getting churned-up into the oil.

The intake ductwork is in pieces, but I'm not sure what it takes to get it
out of the pontoon.  I remember needing to adjust it, but can't remember
how.  Here's a diagram:

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPage.asp?PageID=14

Good luck,

Gus Schlachter