Re: [DML] Need some Air

A couple of answers below:

On 9/27/05, secret_jedi_guy <secret_jedi_guy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First question:  How important is the metal heat stove hose that comes
> off of the air intake?  I have seen cars with and without it that run
> fine.

This pipe routes hot air to the intake to speed up the engine warm-up
process.  The box-ish area it connects to contains a heat-operated
flap that closes the hot air input once sufficiently warmed...  My
guess is that it is useful / necessary in cold climates, and possibly
not at all useful in hot climates.  This is based on the travel range
of the flap.  If you take it out of the engine bay, look at the flap
position in room temperature...  it may be completely closed to heat,
or more likely, halfway between hot and cold.  Put it in your fridge
or freezer, and it should be completely open to hot air.

I personally wasn't sure of the value, so after cleaning and
replacement of a broken part, I placed it all back in, as designed.

> Third question:  Is the section of the intake that comes out of the
> pontoon all one piece or is it sectional and able to be removed?

Sectional, and I believe my car is original:  1 tube inside of pontoon
from outer vent to hole in pontoon in engine bay, 1 elbow tube from
pontoon surface to black box, 1 black box housing the heat controlled
flap and having connections for heat stove tube and output tube, 1
cardboard-ish output tube from black box to plastic connector for air
box, 1 plastic connector which attaches to bottom of air box.  Of
course, now that I've typed all that, it occurs to me to simply link
to DeLorean.com's page with the parts manual graphic of these.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewDir.asp?PageID=14&PageCat=1%2DEngine

Please let us know what route you go on the changes; those who upgrade
their exhaust can definitely use improved intake.

--Greg