Re: [DML] Ball joint failure

Dani -

I don't think there has ever been a case of a lower ball joint going at
high speeds.. its always been from turning from a stop, which is when
you'd have the most stress on part.  My left hand side went at about
4:30 in the morning in a grocery store parking lot.  fortunately it only
kicked out the lower end of the tire and did no damage to anything else.

I ordered two new parts from DMC houston and had the car taken to a shop
that morning.

Its very scary to have this happen and I'm glad you were safe.

I believe the first reports of lower ball joints going was around 1989
and there was a minor panic .. I'm not exactly sure about this, but I
believe there are two versions of the balljoint and castle nut.  The
weaker one having a tapered shaft.

> the hole to hold the ball joint and drove 1 minute down the road to my
> apartment. This could have failed me while I was going 80, and that
> scares me so if you haven't looked at them in a while-CHECK YOUR BALL
> JOINTS! -----Dani B., with #5003 still in one piece

You are so brave! I used a flatbed ..

Stephen #2533