Re: [DML] Ball joint failure

Except in the case of my Donor car,Which was a Brand New Delorean(one
month old)So wear and tear(age) had nothing to do with it,from what I
was told,when I was trying to see about trying to make it Legal to
register(title)when I called Mass MVD(1983)they knew the car,and said
that the Insurance company told them to destroy the title(and one vin
tag,was turned in,(the dash one)and at the time gave me the name of
the insurance company that insured the Delorean,and they gave me the
full story on the car,and the investigation,which determined that it
was a Ball joint failure at high speed,and since there was a fatality,
(not in the Delorean,but the car it hit head on)they wanted to make
sure that that particular Delorean never saw the highways again as a
driving car.(they did not like the multi-million dollar payoff to the
other party)Also the info was given to DMC,which if I remember right
had to do with using the wrong nut on the ball joint,or something
like that,but had to do with either the nut fracturing or ball joint
slipped off the nut(it was so long ago)Anyway from looking at the
remains of the suspension(when i owned it)and the way the nose was
shred off,I would have had to agree with the insurance
company.Outside of the damage at the time the car was super clean,and
if you ever sat in a "Brand New" Delorean it had that new smell,that
I have NEVER smelled in any car but a Delorean,(and has forever stuck
in my head)I have sat in used Deloreans,low mileage Deloreans,but
none have ever held that new "Delorean freshness",that was one of the
reasons, why I wanted to restore it.The NICE part was when I took it
apart,all rivitnuts came off with EASE,(no snappers or spinners)all
bolts were pristine,things unglued with ease,IT WAS actually a
pleasure to dissemble(sad but pleasurable)If you have ever taken
apart a new car(any car) you will know what I am talking about.Then
to lift off the Black body,and see a NEW Mint frame(damaged but Mint)
is something to behold(instead of the shock of seeing a rotted
frame,as with what happens to most people when lifting off a black
body)I had put a date on the frame with a black marker,I think
11/11/83 or 84,which could have made me one of the first private
persons to lift a body off a DMC.
Anyway someone STATED how I acquired so many Parts,that is Simple,I
started with Deloreans in 1982,I always scanned papers for Delorean
parts,I put adds in for "Delorean parts wanted",people would see my
adds and if they were ANYWHERE in New England,I would drive and
check/buy their stuff,over the years I saw MANY Burnt Deloreans,some
just bales of Fiberglass "hair",some "Hail cars",with hail "bumps"
all over the SS( both wanted to much)underwater ("D") cars,Shells,
strippers,and of course the ones I bought(one was only 2 blocks from
me at a used car dealership a red Delorean)some as far away as
Rockford Ill.In fact I had even gotten a call from someone in the
shoreline area of Connecticut,that had a TAN interior sliding windows
car,which like a idiot I never went to see,but talked to the owner on
the phone for awhile,and he claimed it "came that way"(this was about
1985-86)Which in the late 1990's a friend on Vacation in New
Hampshire claimed he actually,found one on a trailer(and looked at it)
in someones back yard,that again had sliding windows,but could not
remember the interior color,in a little hick town,called Bennington
or something like that,again didn't check that one either.Who knows,I
found a Few Deloreans,by pure accident,that is how I came across
00570. Please check out a web site called "carsinbarns" and you will
know EXACTLY what I am talking about.Some of the most prized cars are
there just waiting to be discovered and restored.Who knows what YOU
might discover,by accident.Vin 501? who knows.
CBL