[DML] Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others

[DML] Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others

CBL and others,

I do not wish to debate speculative condition about a car and
would rather let the photos speak for themselves.  I'm sure
Chris will have progress photos, from start to finish, on his
website eventually and displayed with the car at DCS 2006.

I should have been more clear about the butchering statement.
I should have said mutilation, in reference to the underbody.

When restoring any DeLorean, based on its VIN production, one
should be attempting to make the car correct for its vintage.

Chris is restoring this 500 series car back to how it had been
built and delivered from the factory, which includes textured
underbody pontoon sections.  Although CBL claims this car had
a clean underbody, with no damage (at least twice in one post)
the progress photos will paint a different picture.  Not only
was the textured section covered over in an attempt to make it
smooth, which may have been done previous to CBL's ownership,
it is unlikely that anyone but CBL would CARVE CBL's name and
contact information into the underbody.  As with any complete
restoration, this type of "personal touch" must be repaired.

As with possible swapping of SS panels, the 500 series cars had
many unique characterisics, such as the fit and finish of the
early doors.  These early doors do not interchange easily and
often do not interchange with later doors, both with the fit to
the underbody (which may be factory modified to fit that door)
and with the fit of very early interior door panels to the door.

Many of these type of details do not matter to someone who is
just fixing up a DeLorean, but a full factory type restoration
of a DeLorean is at a whole different level.  Chris is one of
a very small group that operates at this level, literally 24/7.

VIN570 has a long long way to make it back to its correct vintage
condition and I'm sure Chris will make it happen, with or without
getting any substantial sleep between now and DCS 2006.  Its this
type of dedication to the marque that we can all appreciate.

Later,
Rich W.