[DML] Re: Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.

[DML] Re: Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Dore" <dmcjohn@xxxx> wrote:
<snip>
> I spoke with my powdercoating friend about this possibility, but he
> thinks that as soon as the chassis comes out the other side of the
> oven, the epoxy will quickly cool and harden onto the frame again,
> and it would achieve nothing. Any thoughts on this?
>
> If any of the full service vendors who sandblast then powder coat
> DeLorean frames as part of their restorations could lend me some
> advice I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Hopefully someone can help!
>
> Thanks,
> John Dore, Ireland.
> Vin 3810.

Well i'm no expert, i'll chime in since I was planning on powdercoating
the frame of my D as well.  After I got my car down to the bare frame, I
desided against it with mine.. Mainly being that my frame wasn't nearly
as bad as I thought it might be. So what I am going to do with mine is
only sandblast the few spots that are rusting, and reepoxy them, then
just simply paint the entire frame again with another layer of an epoxy
based paint(though probably gloss black this time).  One thing to
remember though.. You probably don't want to have the frame dipped
or heated to the point the OEM epoxy paint melts... The reason being
there are many internal area's of the frame that once the OEM
epoxy/paint is removed from, you won't be able to get to to
powedercoat, so you'll end up with bare metal in places that will be
rusting unseen.. And this will probably shorten the life of the frame
when the goal was to prolong it.  If you do go through with stripping the
frame, sandblasting the outside would be all i'd do then powdercoat it.
Warping shouldn't really be an issue, at least not on the frame..
Warping is generally only a problem on thin sheet metal like fenders,
etc. At least from my limited experience anyway.

Chris
VIN# 3209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean/
(who also has loads of pics and needs to do an update but has been
lazy)