Re: [DML] I hate my doors

The nut *should* stay there if you take it off.  As long as it hasn't severely rusted or had the shit beaten out of it at some point.  Even if it does fall off, it is usually fairly easy to retrieve.  See the pics on this page I took a couple months ago:
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/strikerpins.html

Other than that, it sounds like you're doing everything right.  Also, where did you get the seals?  I've noticed huge differences among the various manufacturers in thickness, etc.  For the record, I'm using Houston's which I admittedly only bought for cosmetic reasons (after seeing a set on a club member's car, I thought they looked the best --what a dork!).  I've been very happy with the fit and appearance.  My only additional suggestion would be that if going up another 1/8th inch appears it would work, maybe try moving the pin down and in so the striker enters the latch a little later in its travel.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Jake: I think I pulled the seals as tight as I could and am pretty
sure they're installed correctly. I'll rework them a bit, see if I can
get them any tighter. I've also rubbed the silicone lube all over 'em
many times. However: The concept of adjusting one striker at a time
will probably help me. I didn't know I could completely remove the
striker pins - I assumed the nut behind would fall off and I'd never
be able to get to it. So, if I take the striker pin completely out,
the nut should stay behind?

> As for the striker, I seem to remember you having an early VIN?

Not too early - #5447. Actually, the hole in the fiberglass is not my
problem - I have excess room there. It's the hole the pin goes
through, where the nut sits on the other side. If I could just move
the pin UP another 1/8th of an inch I think it would align perfectly.
But it's reached it's limit of travel.