[DML] Re: Stolen in Seattle

Re: Stolen in Seattle

Thanks and well spoken timnagin!!
That was  my point in  that message,To make people aware,of the
Delorean shortfalls in that matter,To make people aware that a
Delorean is not nessarlly stolen for its parts value,but for its
value as a "whole car",and most importantlly,to carefully check the
vins,when making a purchase,and to look closely at any Delorean where
things do not match up with the vin and year,as a suspect for a vin
change,as I am sure that there must be at least a few Deloreans
running around with "suspect" vins.Because you MUST remember-- if you
happen to own one of those "suspect" vehicles,you lose your rights to
that Delorean(and all monies paid for it(and put into it)and the real
(true) owner gets the car back,with all your improvements.And you
might also face criminal charges.So Buyer Beware,and don't just check
for a rusty frame.Also remember carfax is USELESS for a car
with "suspect" vins,as it will only give info,for the Vin numbers not
the actual car.ALWAYS ALWAYS check the vin plates for tampering.One
very good idea is to have the VIN NUMBER etched into the
fiberglass,in about 20 plus different areas,as the fiberglass body IS
the Vin! And as the fiberglass is a soft material,it could be done
with almost any tool.I did it to vin #00570,when I had the rear
Qpanel off.Even putting it under the headliner with a black marker is
better than nothing,but would be confused with the orignal stuff
there.Etching the fenders or SS on the backside is risky,as it MIGHT
also etch onto the outside finish surface.A good spot would be the
fenderwells,because that usually fills with dirt and "hides" the Vin
number,and easy to check on a "parked Delorean",a little rubbing and
the numbers are exposed.
Just my 3cents on protecting your "D"
and not living a nightmare

CBL

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx> wrote:
> David,
>
> This is just more security through obscurity.  I seriously doubt any
> professional car thief is lurking on a relatively obscure Yahoo
group just
> waiting for bits of information on how to break into and steal a De
Lorean.
> If a car thief wants the car they will get it no matter what.
>
> The more information like this is shared among the group the better
off
> everyone is to prevent this from happening to them, or being
scammed during
> a new purchase.  For example, if people knew how easy it was to
replace the
> VIN tags they may look more closely at the tags for signs of
tampering
> during a potential purchase.
>
> Lastly, posting HOW to do something is not illegal or wrong; the
act of
> following through is.  This applies to anything and not just our
cars.  Any
> person following this "recipe" to commit a crime is the guilty
party, not
> the person discussing how it can be done so everyone can be better
educated
> to protect themselves, and their car.
>
> Greg

[moderator snip]