Re: [DML] DMCH in Forbes...

Louie wrote:

>Also keep in mind Stephen Wynne and DMC-Texas have probably done
>more for the DeLorean marque than anyone else in the last two
>decades. DMC-Texas has repetedly gotten the car into the press in a
>positive way, they keep reproducing rare/extinct parts, and come up
>with solutions for problem areas that face all DeLorean owners.
>People gripe about their hi/po engines being expensive, but for
>roughly the same power output they cost many thousands less than the
>island turbo alternative. Not to mention their engine upgrades are
>easier on your engine (how many turbo cars have we all seen that
>have health problems?). I know your hobby is to rip on DMC-Texas,
>Marc... but your arguments against them have always been really
>hollow and easily refuted.
>
>Louie Golden
>#5252 Charlotte, NC

I've been trying to figure out the best and cheapest ways to boost the
performance of my own D engine while it's out so i'll chime in on
this..  DMCH's performance engine actually isn't priced bad when someone
else is doing the work..  After all.. If you carried your D to a race
shop and said "Make this 200hp without altering the engine's appearance"
then I believe you'd be looking at a price tag in excess of $10k for
them to take the engine out, port the heads, build a tuned exhaust, dyno
the motor, etc.

 However.... what I don't care for is the fact they won't sell the
performance parts they use (other than the exhaust) to DIY'ers like me..
And actually i've looked around, and I can't even find anywhere where
they even SAY what exactly they do to their performance engines..   I
know things like porting heads is a bit beyond most people's abilities..
But if DMCH uses things like custom cams, etc, then I would really like
to see said items offered for sale.. Even if they were grossly
overpriced, it's still better than being out $5250 (+ shipping costs to
get my D down to texas and back) and being without my D for who knows
how long AFTER I finally get it back together.. (hopefully by the end of
the year. :P )

I guess this kinda turned me ranting as well.. but oh well. I figure
they'll either eventually offer the performance parts they likly use
(and I say likly because.. who knows.. for all I know they could just
slap on a new exhaust, though I find it hard to believe that alone will
net the +65hp they claim.. probably 40 or so tops.)  and make some money
off me, or continue with how they offer it now, in which case they'll
make 0, at least off of that aspect, though the only thing I can think
of  off the top of my head that I absolutly have to buy from them are
the lowering springs.. I think I can find everything else i'll need to
finish my D from other places cheaper.

--

Chris
VIN# 03209