[DML] Re: OVERHEATING?

You are absolutely right, messing with the heads on the PRV is no
simple task. You can get away with a very small amount of milling on
the heads. If the heads are really badly warped and you have to mill a
lot of materiel off you would have to either use a spacer or fit
multiple gaskets in to make up the difference. Neither is a good
alternative but hey, the motor got overheated really bad to warp the
heads! When a motor gets overheated that bad the heads are not the
only thing to worry about. You cooked all the seals so everything may
leak, like the seals on the liners. The oil got cooked so it may clog
up the smaller passages. Some of the tips I offer may not be the
"best" course of action but when you are faced with a motor that got
cooked you can try to patch it up and maybe be successful or replace
it. Most of us would at least try to get the motor going again. If you
do try to get it going you have to check the oil pressure and do a
compression test. Change the oil and filter, and watch for leaks. If
the motor wasn't really overcooked it should be salvageable. I have
seen motors where the wiring over the top of it was just melted like
spagettii, that's how hot it got. (Not a Delorean). Needless to say
but in such a case very little can be saved out of such a mess. This
is just one reason that if you buy a car and the motor doesn't run or
there is anti-freeze in the oil you figure the motor is toast. Just
buying a set of heads to throw onto a cooked motor may not work either
if the rest of the insides are melted.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757