RE: [DML] Troubles-updated/flames from exhaust

RE: [DML] Troubles-updated/flames from exhaust

Well, if you smell gas you have a leak.  I would recommend pressurizing the
system with the car off and geting underneath to check everywhere.  I'd
suspect it's also the reason the accumulator has to refill because it isn't
holding fuel like it should.

You know I restored the engine for a gentleman here in NC who had 3 feet of
flames trailing behind his car while driving on the highway!!  No joke
either.  When he got home his buddy jumped out of his car and told him to
get out of the car and the taillights were glowing red like on a rocket.
That's when the car came to me after that.  The gnetleman also stated he had
almost no power and the car would not accelerate past 55 MPH.

We found several faults that may have contributed to the problem.  A valve
adjustment was necessary and he also had a non-Delorean Fuel Distributor.
His CO was so rich the smell from the tailpipes while running burned your
eyes and face and caused you to leave the shop.  I think the best theory for
the flames igniting was fuel filling up in the Cat and being ignited by the
extreme heat.  However, you don't have a Cat as you stated so it could be a
number of things.  I'd definitely do a Valve Adjustment on your car and make
sure to trace the possible fuel leak ASAP.

Oh, we also did a full tune-up on the car here.  The plugs were pretty bad
especially on a few cylinders which might have contributed to the problem if
they were not firing well and dumping excess fuel.

We replaced the entire fuel system front to back minus the metal lines under
the car.

After all the work the car started first crank and ran like a champ.  He can
now drive it back and forth worry free.  I supect your car may have similar
causes for the symptoms.  Let us know what you find out!!

Jeff In NC