[DML] Re: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase

[DML] Re: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase

Unfortunately, Rob Grady hasn't been the one working on this car.  If
he had, I don't think I would be having these problems.  Rob only
rebuilt the steering rack for the brain donor I bought the car from.
Said genius is the one who installed the rack.  I think this guy
overestimates his capabilities.  Believe it or not, he is selling the
car because he opened a garage and is in financial trouble. I wonder
if it has anything to do with his client base seeing the quality of
his work?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr@xxxx>
wrote:
> Just call Rob Grady & ask him what he saw wrong or what he replaced
or worked on,
> I'm sure he would be more than happy to help.
> Lawrence
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "delorean6859" <tmadsop@xxxx> wrote:
> > Alright, I picked up #06859 this afternoon that I won in an ebay
> > auction (auction # 4566780231).  The car was described as
excellent
> > condition inside and out and was owned by a mechanic, so I
> > thought....this is the one.  Well, I'll cut to the chase and say
that I
> > need help.  If anyone lives in the DC/Maryland area or more
> > specifically near Calvert County, I need you.  I'll get into the
> > specifics about the transaction below, but the car has some major
> > issues that I'm going to need help with and would appreciate it
if
> > someone could take it for a drive and look at it and tell me what
you
> > think the problems are.  Here are the major issues so far that I
have
> > uncovered:
> >
> > First, the parking brake will not engage.  This is major because
it
> > won't pass a Maryland inspection.  The parking brake light will
go on
> > if you pull the brake up one notch, after that, it goes out and
the
> > brake will not hold.
> >
> > Second, and probably more serious, I suspect a fuel system
issue.  The
> > idle is racing.  When I sit at an idle (with or without
> > airconditioning) it revs between 500 and 1100 RPM.  It is
constantly
> > reving almost like I am tapping the gas pedal every second.
> >
> > Also, which may be related, when I lift my foot off of the gas it
> > sounds like I've got a trail of "Just Married" cans being pulled
behind
> > the car.  It's not quite a backfire, but it isn't what you would
expect
> > a fine automobile to sound like.
> >
> > Also potentially related is the fact that the car makes a loud
banging
> > noise whenever I take a hard left turn.  I saw a posting some
time this
> > week that had someone with this sound whenever they made a hard
turn
> > and they suspected a suspension or bearing issue and it turned
out to
> > be something with the fuel system. I don't know what forum it
was, but
> > I'll be looking for it tonight.
> >
> > Another issue is that the Oil Pressure gauge seemed to function
> > normally during the three hour drive, but about half way through
it,
> > the gauge went all the way past 80 and was point to the "I" in
Oil.
> > After a while it went back to normal.
> >
> > Now before you suggest I go buy the shop manual, that was one of
the
> > things the car was SUPPOSED to come with.  However, integrity
seems to
> > be lacking in the individual that sold me this car.
> >
> > None of the marker lights on the doors will light.  I haven't
even
> > tried to track that issue down.  This could be anything from a
> > pulled/blown fuse.....I think I'll get to that one last.
> >
> > The body is not in the excellent condition that it was described
to be
> > in either.  The stainless isn't too bad, but there are several
dings in
> > various spots and a deep scratch across the grain of the steel on
the
> > hood.
> >
> > A brand new steering rack was installed this morning and it feels
> > little loose.  I have no experience with cars without power
steering,
> > so maybe it is supposed to be this way, which brings me back to
my need
> > for someone to drive it who is "in the know".
> >
> > Now before you say, Nate, why did you even go on with the
transaction.
> > Well, that is funny you should ask.  The racing idle issue was
> > immediately apparent.  However the clunking sound when you take
your
> > foot off of the gas and when you make a hard left turn were not
> > immediately apparent.  The dings aren't THAT noticable (the utter
lack
> > of any weatherstripping was though!)  But the main reason was
that I
> > met this guy on the Jersey Turnpike so I didn't have to drive all
the
> > way to Yonkers (I'm one of those federal law enforcement types
working
> > a midnight shift with no days off in sight).  My wife (who I must
thank
> > because she rarely says no to me .......outside of the bedroom,
anyway)
> > had to make an appointment at 2:30 and the knucklehead was late
showing
> > up.  So I got left at the rest area in New Jersey like cheap
luggage.
> > The Delorean had now become my ride home with no back-up.
> >
> > So the moral of the story is this:
> > When buying on ebay READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!!
> > When it says "headliner recently replaced" look into the fact
that the
> > guy has a Johnny Bravo type of hairstyle that requires 15 W 50 to
keep
> > it up. The headliner again needs to be replaced bacause I don't
want
> > people thinking that crap came from my head!!!
> >
> > When it says interior and exterior in excellent
condition.....well that
> > one is kind of like my single days at the Federal Law Enforcement
> > Training Center and the rating system for women there.  A "6" in
real
> > life was a FLETC "9" when you factor in the pool of applicants
and the
> > last time you actually saw a female.  I'll rate this car a fair
as it
> > sits now.
> >
> > Anyway, I'd probably be a lot more upset right now if it wasn't
for the
> > fact that I know that Delorean owners are a rare breed and take
care of
> > each other.  I'm hoping I can restore this girl to her original
glory
> > with your help!!!!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nate
> > AKA "Really mad I sold a perfectly good Porshe Boxster for this
car"

> > --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "delorean6859" <tmadsop@xxxx>
wrote:
> > > Hi Joey,
> > > I'm picking up (hopefully) my Delorean tomorrow.  I live in
Calvert