Re: [DML] Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase

delorean6859 wrote:

>First, the parking brake will not engage.  This is major because it
>won't pass a Maryland inspection.  The parking brake light will go on
>if you pull the brake up one notch, after that, it goes out and the
>brake will not hold.

Adjusting the handbrake is really easy. Assuming the pads are okay (I've
seen them where the pad material has fallen off the plate, but that was
a once only) It's a 5 mintue job, including the time to take the wheels
off. Unless the cable has become unhooked from the yoke on the handle.
Either way, it won't cost anything in parts to fix. I've yet to see a
snapped cable.

>Second, and probably more serious, I suspect a fuel system issue.  The
>idle is racing.  When I sit at an idle (with or without
>airconditioning) it revs between 500 and 1100 RPM.  It is constantly
>reving almost like I am tapping the gas pedal every second.

Lambda system not working or sensor has failed. Alternatively the
"mechanic" has mucked about with the mixture. It's runing rich. Usual
culprit is a failed lambda sensor, wrong relay in yellow* socket (should
be 2x 15A), failed control pressure regulator, though usually these fail
lean. You can eleminate a lot of possibilities by telling us if our
frequency valve buzzes. It's just under your air box on the right hand
rocker cover. SOunds like an angry cricket.

>Also, which may be related, when I lift my foot off of the gas it
>sounds like I've got a trail of "Just Married" cans being pulled behind
>the car.  It's not quite a backfire, but it isn't what you would expect
>a fine automobile to sound like.

Exhaust crossover heatshields are loose. A really simple fix (because
the bolts usually break) is to wrap a couple of hose clips around them
and the pipe to hold them down. Could also be a missing bolt on the
right hand end of the main rear box heatshield. It's a sod to put in,
but if left off, rattles like a good-un. Manifold heat stove also a
possibility, but the crossover heatshields are the most common

>Also potentially related is the fact that the car makes a loud banging
>noise whenever I take a hard left turn.

Some cars have problems with the wheel rubbing on the anti-roll bar.
Look for a shiny spot and there's your answer. Unless you mean hard
cornering at speed? If so, and if, as you say below, it also does it
when throttling back, check trailing arm bolts and all ball joints
(depending on whether it's coming from the front or the back).

>Another issue is that the Oil Pressure gauge seemed to function
>normally during the three hour drive, but about half way through it,
>the gauge went all the way past 80 and was point to the "I" in Oil.
>After a while it went back to normal.

Original pressure gauge senders are crap. Remember you do also have an
oil pressure light so you can trust that. Most cars make do with just a
light.

>None of the marker lights on the doors will light.  I haven't even
>tried to track that issue down.  This could be anything from a
>pulled/blown fuse.....I think I'll get to that one last.

Check the pin switches are plugged in. If the interior lights work, it
ain't the fuse.

>A brand new steering rack was installed this morning and it feels a
>little loose.  I have no experience with cars without power steering,
>so maybe it is supposed to be this way, which brings me back to my need
>for someone to drive it who is "in the know".

Check for play in the steering joints that go from the bottom of the
column to the rack. Are you sure it' a proper "new" rack? Check when it
was installed that the right-hand (square) bracket has located the
flange on the rack into the two little tongues on the plate beneath it.
It is possible to install so it allows the rack to move.

>When it says interior and exterior in excellent condition.....well that
>one is kind of like my single days at the Federal Law Enforcement
>Training Center and the rating system for women there.  A "6" in real
>life was a FLETC "9" when you factor in the pool of applicants and the
>last time you actually saw a female.  I'll rate this car a fair as it
>sits now.

There are quite a few owners out there with "rose tinted specs" who
think their car is better than it is. My car is my pride and joy but I
really would like to rery and sell it! :-) (it does have strait bodywork
though <grin>)

Martin