[DML] Re: Unsynchronized door locks

Rich,

I had the same problems when I was installing my actuators. I had
both doors up with the latches manually closed and all the panels
removed. I could operate the switch on one side and see the switch
on the other side moving only halfway into the same position.

I first suspected the lock module. I had rebuilt it using the great
guide from the tech files, but I suspected it wasn't staying active
long enough to move the mechanism completely into position. So I
changed the large 1000mfd caps to 2200mfd. This resulted in a slight
improvement, but sometimes they sill would not go all the way.

Then I lubricated everything in both ends of the door with Winzer
Polylube I had bought from Specialtauto. I mean I really soaked
everything in the locking chain. It started working perfectly
everytime! Before I closed the door panels up, I speayed it all
again.

No problems since. I would suggest after following Toby's advice to
adjust the rods, try lubricating.

Marty Galbreath
3765
with most all of Toby's electronics :)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Toby Peterson" <tobyp@xxxx> wrote:
> Rich - I would start by carefully and completely marching through
> the door lock adjustment procedure detailed in the shop manual
> (P:02:11).  See also service bulletin ST-10-8.81 in the "Tech
Files"
> section.  It can be rather tedious, but it is the best place to
get
> back to factory lock settings.  This procedure focuses on getting
> the door lock wiper switches (bell cranks) at the correct
positions
> so that they offer proper feedback information to the door lock
> module.  Where the manual talks about moving the solenoids back
and
> forth to position the bell cranks (if necessary), you can shift
the
> position by moving the linkage rod on the actuator where it
connects
> to the forward lock rod.  A couple of things to look for - the
> switches can get loose at the pivot point.  The bell crank rotates
> around on a rivet.  I had to carefully "redrive" my rivets to
> tighten the switches up so that they rotated smoothly and
> consistently.  The next thing to look for is seriously bent lock
> linkage rods.  If you have an excessive bend, the rod will flex
too
> much, and not move the mechanism enough.  Make sure that you are
> getting very good and consistent electrical contact on the bell
> crank wiper switches.  Chris Almy wrote a great piece on
> troubleshooting the bell crank switch positions a while back on
the
> DML.  I don't have the message number, but it was a very nice
write-
> up.  Let us know if you have any further questions on this.
>
> Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
> DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
> www.delorean-parts.com
[moderator snip]