[DML] Re: Unsynchronized door locks

Rich - I would start by carefully and completely marching through
the door lock adjustment procedure detailed in the shop manual
(P:02:11).  See also service bulletin ST-10-8.81 in the "Tech Files"
section.  It can be rather tedious, but it is the best place to get
back to factory lock settings.  This procedure focuses on getting
the door lock wiper switches (bell cranks) at the correct positions
so that they offer proper feedback information to the door lock
module.  Where the manual talks about moving the solenoids back and
forth to position the bell cranks (if necessary), you can shift the
position by moving the linkage rod on the actuator where it connects
to the forward lock rod.  A couple of things to look for - the
switches can get loose at the pivot point.  The bell crank rotates
around on a rivet.  I had to carefully "redrive" my rivets to
tighten the switches up so that they rotated smoothly and
consistently.  The next thing to look for is seriously bent lock
linkage rods.  If you have an excessive bend, the rod will flex too
much, and not move the mechanism enough.  Make sure that you are
getting very good and consistent electrical contact on the bell
crank wiper switches.  Chris Almy wrote a great piece on
troubleshooting the bell crank switch positions a while back on the
DML.  I don't have the message number, but it was a very nice write-
up.  Let us know if you have any further questions on this.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> All-
>
> I installed Toby's door actuators some time ago. Even before that
> however, my locks never worked correctly. I suspect the locks were
> engaged with the doors open, bending the locking rods. If you
unlock the driver's side from inside, the passenger side never moves
enough to unlock. The key locks are the same way. Not to mention if
you manipulate the key and/or the inner switches you can generate
all sorts of patterns regarding which side locks/doesn't lock or
unlock.
> I've upgraded my lock module and the acutators work correctly.
That much I've checked.

> What parts would I need to replace to get them back to the point
where they'll be synchronized? Or perhaps I'm just not doing it
right and someone can suggest a proceedure that will get things
working together?