[DML] Finally got my D! Now hard starts & stalling

[DML] Finally got my D! Now hard starts & stalling

I finally got my dream car after 20 years of wanting nothing more.
She's a young one at just under 7200 miles on the clock, but the
original owner of 24 years started the engine and drove around the
block or something a few times a week to keep things flowing.  It was
serviced about a year before I bought her with all the fuel system
stuff, and all the hoses look pretty new and are flexible.  Drives
like a new car, once you get it going...

At a cold start:  When I turn it over, the engine catches for a
second, if I keep my foot on the gas a bit it'll rev with the start,
but then RPMs fall way too low and it stalls out (whether my foot's on
the gas or not).  The manual says to have the gas pedal down 1/4 the
way, so I'm doing that, though it doesn't seem to care if I do or not.

Second attempt usually fares no better, but the "idle seek" (which I'm
still not sure is normal from reading the archives) throws it from
about 400-1500 RPMs, and while in the lows the engine shakes like a
mexican jumping bean and will often stall regardless of what I do.

Third or fourth attempt will usually catch on, but I have to watch my
pedal pushing.  If I give it a little gas when the idle seeking is
high, it'll rev and keep the process going.  If I give it gas when
it's low, it'll go lower and stall.  If I gas it and RPMs are falling
and I let go, it'll usually catch and rev back up (?).  Providing it
doesn't stall out, it'll idle seek for about 2 minutes or so before
landing on the correct idle speed.  After it settles down, she drives
like a dream.  I don't have a license plate for her yet so I can't go
too far or too fast, but I've been up to about 65 with no hesistation
or clunking or explosions.  Idle remains good at stops, and restarting
after it's warm is a cinch on the first try.

Things I've checked:  I've taken the hoses off the CPR system and
cleaned out the little trap.  Nothing much in there.  I've unplugged
the idle control unit when it's warmed up, it revved and then started
getting wonky so I plugged it back in.  I've unplugged the cold start
valve before trying to start just to see if there was a difference,
and it didn't work at all so I presume it's doing something.  Per
instructions I unplugged the thermo time switch and tried bypassing it
but I know I didn't do it right (don't ask), detailed instructions
would be helpful.  Also to note, when I turn the ignition to the
middle position (radio etc is on) I can feel and hear a
buzzing/humming coming from the cold start valve and the idle speed
regulator.

Also I've got 2 loose ends in my engine bay.  One's a bent 5" hose
coming from my CPR unit, ends in a hole like someone cut it off.
Looking from the bumper it's on the top side bottom left just below
the electric plug.  It goes nowhere.  I can't find it in the manuals
either.  The other I just discovered behind the intake manifold where
the ingition coil wire goes under.  It's a thin black wire with a
stripped end just hangin' out.

Suggestions?

-Steelskin
#5572 '81 5-speed, Grey int, Hood grooves :)