[DML] Re: Possible cooling problem?

Sounds perfectly normal to me. My car does the same thing, and had
always driven reliably on a daily basis around Las Vegas in the
summer heat with no problem. Your car too is operating in a safe
temperature range.

Here are some things to keep in mind: Regular water boils at 212°F.
Cut it with antifreeze, and you've raised the temperature up another
few degrees. Compress it, and prevent it from expanding in a sealed
engine cooling system, and you've raised the boiling point of the
water mixture to about 245°F-260°F depending upong the antifreeze
content.

Your car is operating as normal. The only reason that you're noticing
it, is because the manufacturer wrote the temperature #'s on the
gague. If you notice with your modern cars, auto manufacturers have
allieviated these concerns by not putting #'s on the temperature
gauges anylonger. It's either color-coded with blue & red, or you
just have the H & C marks to show hot and cold. Plus they also have
these gauges on a delay. I have a Ford Explorer the got a bad
thermostat, and the engine overheated quicker than the gauge
responded.

But trust me, your modern day cars are functioning at the very same
temperatures. Your DeLorean is fine.

-Robert

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi
> My cooling fans arent coming on until the temperature needle is
slightly below 220. On a friends De Lorean, the stage at which the
fans come on is much lower. Is the thermostat faulty?