RE: [DML] Cooling. Something to think about.

RE: [DML] Cooling. Something to think about.

Thomas,
I know this post is a little late and you have a lot of answers. I would
like to say again like I did a month or so ago.
The otterstat is a very simple switch that is activated by the coolant
temperature.  When the coolant temperature is reached the otterstat in the
back of the car it closes the contacts and completes the circuit and the
fans come on.
The engine to me is designed for the normal operating temperature of the
thermostat which is 87C or ( 189 degree F )because it is the closest to
where the heat is generated and then when it opens the coolant flows thru
the radiator for cooling.
The temperature sensor for the gauge is mounted on the rear of the passenger
head in the engine and by the time the coolant turns on the radiator fans
via the otterstat  then the coolant may be a little hotter but still within
engine range.
The otterstat switch my be delayed in opening because it needs to be
replaced due to age or air in the line. I have not had any reported trends
in failure.
Like Rob said: use the 97C otterstat and the correct thermostat 87C and with
no air in the lines and no trash like leaves or debris between the condenser
and the radiator and you will be fine. My wife's car fans were set to come
on at 210 degrees. It has a digital read out which took a while to get used
to.
I designed a about 2 or 3 years ago a variable temperature sensor that would
make some adjustments in the delay on and off of the cooling fans and then
tie it into The Fan Fix 2 but because the new otterstat were doing so good
and no one reporting problems in cooling due to a failing component I
stopped with the work. If that is something people want then I can go ahead
and build it and tie in. But it won't solve the problem of a bad radiator,
blockage or thermostat.
I do have a 92C otterstat that will turn on a little sooner, but keep in
mind that the engine has to reach an operating temperature to perform
properly. Cooling it down quicker isn't always the best thing.
John Hervey
www.specialtauto.com