Re: [DML] DOA mags

Communicating back when people have questions is always a positive
thing. However, and maybe I'm wrong here, but I seem to really detect
a negative tone in your post.

I for one would understand if perhaps you didn't have all the
materials together. Sometimes people run into unforseen delays. I
know I have in the past with both personal, and professional
projects. But I've a bit of concern about a couple things you wrote:

"I wish problems, etc. would be directed directly to the board as he
and I have been around for the 22 years of its existence."
<SNIP>
"We do not get paid, work harder than any paid position at times and
receive lots of commentary behind our backs.  Not a good incentive to
continue doing this."

WOAH! Wait a second there! No one was even remotely criticizing you,
or anyone else from the DOA. One person asked if anyone who took
advantage of your offer for these magazines, had recieved their
copies yet. To this question, there were 3 responses. 2 people
responded back and said that they had not recieved anything yet. But
that third response had stated that yes, they had recieved
everything. This was a very civilized conversation, that had no
negative aspects. As a matter of fact, no where in it did anyone say
that they were even unhappy at all. No where at all was it directed
twords the DOA, or any of it's representatives. So even if there was
anything negative that could have been said, none of these questions
were directed twords the DOA, hence why nothing was sent directly to
the Board of Directors of the DOA. This was a simple conversation.

Now, I'm really sorry that you felt that this was "Not a good
incentive to continue doing this." In the contexts of which I assume
you mean yourself serving the memebers who have paid money to join
your organization. With said "negative incentives" being the fact
that said members were able to freely converse and exchange ideas and
words outside the arena of your moderation and control. And if I have
misunderstood any of this, please help me to gain clarification.
Because that last statement certainly sounded to me like some sort of
a threat...

Now just as you said; "I hope this is taken in the positive light
that I have written it in.", so do I share this same vision about
what I have written. However, I will be more explicit as to the
meaning and purpose of my message here.

On the DOA's webpage, they explicitly state that the clubs mission is
as follows:

"The purpose of the Association is to act as a social organization to
provide members the opportunity to meet and communicate information
about the DeLorean marque."

Fine. But this is how WE, the new generation of DeLorean owners
communicate. We are apart of the digital revolution. We utilize e-
mail, as well as near-real time message boards such as the DML right
here. If you want the new generation of DeLorean owners to join with
you, then it's going to have to be a shared responsability. We'll
adapt to your club with membership dues and participation, as these
are your needs. But the DOA will also need to adapt to the new
members as well. Namely that being public debate. These are our needs
that the DOA will need to adapt to. Both the new members that you
recently signed up, and prospective ones such as myself.

So far, I still don't seen an incentive to join, let alone any
positive changes that would reflect the needs I have, for a club to
provide for me.

22 years is quite a bit of dedication, and admirable. I've been
communicating off-list with a few fellow DML'ers about bridging
the "generation gap" of DeLorean owners. Old school vs. new school.
And so far, it's been quite facinating. But I can tell you now, if
I've learned a thing so far, it's been that we ALL need to compromise
on some things.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, debra spurlin <dmspurlin@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
> It was my home you called regarding the back issues of the DeLorean
World Magazine Special.  They have yet to go out as we have not
received the 100 boxes I ordered as of yet.
> They are supposed to arrive here around the 12th.  At that time Jon
will be taking them to mail to all those who have signed up!  I now
live with assembled sets across my living room on a tarp, and have
one bedroom full of rows of magazines in order (it was over 3,000
pounds for Jon to transport them to our home from the storage
facility.  There is nothing else we can do at this point.  He spent
all of four days alone getting them here, organized, etc.  Then we
have proceeded to type all the information into a list to start
shipping them in the order for which they were received.
> I wish problems, etc. would be directed directly to the board as he
and I have been around for the 22 years of its existence.  I met
several of you at Stephen's open house recently.  We do
> not get paid, work harder than any paid position at times and
receive lots of commentary behind our backs.  Not a good incentive to
continue doing this.  Jon and I collectively have probable held just
about every office, missed a couple.  But are pretty informed as to
all that has transpired on ALL ends of the deal.
> I hope this is taken in the positive light that I have written it
in.  If you have any further questions or comments I would be happy
to respond.