Re: [DML] Help! Door lock problem!

> So, at the door, you lock, unlock, and it breaks. Then you try to
> lock/unlock from both doors and neither one activates the solenoids?
> Then some period of time elapses and it starts working again?

Correct.  I also have Toby's keyless entry installed and it happens when I
use the remote as well.  (Toby's system has been verified as working
properly.)

> If you hadn't said you can manually activate the solenoids from within
> the module, I would have blamed the circuit breaker. Have you verified
> it isn't popping? When the system quits working from the doors, have
> you tested to see if the module has power before things start working
> again?

Yes I have, and power is there.

> The door locking circuit is really quite simple, so this should be
> easy to track down. You're going to need a multimeter; measure the
> pins at the wiring harness to the lock module (with the module
> disconnected) to verify the slide type switches in both doors are
> working properly on multiple manual lock & unlock cycles. Then verify
> you can manually activate both door lock solenoids by shorting the
> appropriate pins (again, with the module disconnected). If this all
> works without issue, you've got a problem internal to your door
> module. At that point I'd either begin troubleshooting that circuit in
> depth, or simply replace the module alltogether.

I have already tested the solenoids independent of the module and both work
great.

Here is a new development.  While verifying that the module itself was
getting power, I also checked the capacitors.  While the system was
"unlocked", the lock capacitor was holding at 12v, and the unlock capacitor
was holding at .5v.  When I "locked" the system, the unlock capacitor was
holding at 12v, and the lock capacitor was holding at .5v.  So when I went
to unlock, the system responded and unlocked, however now both capacitors
were holding at .5v.  Obviously, when I went to lock again, there was not
enough standby power to activate.  The module is getting steady power at
this time.  I am not an electrician, so I'm not sure why it's taking so long
for the capacitors (which just got replaced because I thought the old ones
were shot) to charge again.  They do eventually charge because I am able to
lock/unlock again after some time.

Jace