Re: [DML] Help! Door lock problem!

I had a very similar problem where  I could lock and unlock the door
just fine from the inside  but lock it from the outside and you had
better have a window down. Even with the window down you would have
to press down on the door latch lever and work the lock handle until
things let loose. I had adjusted the lock mechanism and it worked
fine with me in the car.  I replaced both the front and rear door
latches but still had the problem.

I finally tracked the problem down to the outside door handle and the
release cable. The handle was worn and sloppy and the release cable
was worn and had developed a kink in it so if you locked it and then
lifted the door handle to make check that the door was locked things
would be under  tension and would not allow the mechanism in the door
to return to its rest position which in turn would not allow the
wiper switch for the locks to move all the way to the unlock
position.  The amount of travel that was being limited by these worn
parts was less than a quarter inch but could not be adjusted out. New
handle and release cable solved everything. I could have replaced
just the cable and made things operable again but the handle was on
it's last legs so I replaced it with one of the cast zinc ones from
DMC Houston.  The doors work better than they had since I bought the
car and I no longer fear locking it.

Phil Priestley

Vin 2105
IN FLUX