Re: [DML] BTF cars.

Dave,

Thank you for taking your time to explain the apparent abundance of ?original? Back to the Future cars out there. I also want to thank the other list members who have also done so and those who may still do so.

It?s interesting to read about the George Barris replicas and his lack of a role in the making of the original movie cars.

What I gather, from what you and the other List members have written, is that there is no crystal clear irrefutable record of what happened to each and every car used in the making of the trilogy of BTF movies. As you say, "It is possible that one or more made it out into the public...".

Maybe some day such a record will emerge.

Faded

Dave Swingle <swingle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Actually there are quite a few of them out there now. There are
the "open" replicas where the owner tells you that they are replicas
(most of the owners of these are on the list - Brandys, Holler etc.).
The more insidious ones are the George Barris replicas. Barris had
nothing at all to do with the original movie cars, but is now making
replicas that are in car museums all over the country. They ARE
signed by him on the front fender, but generally the museum people
seem ignorant that the cars are not actually from Universal or from
the movie.

According to the movie producers, all the DeLorean cars from the
movie are still in posession of Universal or have been destroyed. It
is possible that one or more made it out into the public, for example
we do know that "Biff's BMW from the future" is currently being
restored in private hands.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Faded N Jaded
wrote:
> If I'm interpreting the information which Tom Tait gave us, the
movie studio went out and bought a car to pass off as the original
BTF car when in fact it wasn't. It was just a car they bought, and
presumably transformed to look like the BTF car, so that they could
reap some publicity off of it. So, in reality, the car which Tom Tait
says he bought is really not the original car used to make any of the
BTF cars but just one they used to advertise the movie.

> I don't want to imply that the car which Tom Tait bought is worth
less because of that; I merely want to be sure I understand what
transpired there. I would imagine the rest of us on this list would
like to know the true and accurate story as well.

> Because of what Tom told us, my question still stands, what did
happen to the original car or cars used in the movies? Does anyone
know?

> My original question was prompted by a claim by someone who says he
bought the original BTF car and is restoring it. He did not identify
himself as Tom. I have not yet seen the car but I do know where he
lives, hence my desire to know where, or approximately where Tom Tait
lives.

> Might there be several cars out there claiming to be BTF originals?
I'm beginning to wonder.