Re: [DML] Re: Electrical door lock fix + alarm? Suggestions?

Re: [DML] Re: Electrical door lock fix + alarm? Suggestions?

The lock module is quite clever in that respect. As it uses relays to
power the solenoids, as soon a the relay breaks contact the voltage goes
crazy only in the solenoid itself. The power supply to the solenoids is
kept seperate from the power supply to the module, and the former comes
directly off the main 12v cluster behind the back board. They draw less
than the colling fans on startup, also inductive devices

The problems with the lock module are threefold

1) The relays are open to the air and are underrated
2) the original system uses capacitors dumped across the relays to power
the solenoids - this is how it only works for half a second or so. The
snag is that a relay powered from a decaying voltage will break contact
poorly and cause arcing and can weld themselves shut (see 1)
3) There are no protection diodes on the transistors that switch the
capacitors across the relays, though for these to pop is quite rare.

We replace the transistors with 2n222's which are common as muck and
much meatier, add protection diodes and replace the relays with
hermetically sealed ones which means no oxidisation and no sticking.
Anyone with a bit of soldering skill can do this for less than $10

Martin