[DML] Re: Replacing thermostat and coolant.

[DML] Re: Replacing thermostat and coolant.

What you describe is the symptom of air in the system. I'm surprised
that you didn't find you were low on coolant at the bottle because,
if circulation stopped and restarted that means coolant displaced
the air - for a while at least. Are you sure the bleeder hoses are
connected properly? One problem you'll have, if the system was
drained enough to evacuate the block, is that air can get trapped in
the heads. This can take a long time to eliminate. A "nose" downhill
attitude for a while with the engine running helps displace this air.

BTW, you do not need to remove the intake to change the thermostat.

There are lots of tech notes and help sites on this topic - just do
a search and you will find them.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet@xxxx>
wrote:
> My car overheated on Saturday, dumping a lot of coolant in my
> driveway through the overflow.  I ordered a new thermostat, and
have
> two new left and right main hoses to replace the existing spongy
> ones.  I am also waiting for the stainless overflow bottle to
> arrive.  I want all the parts together before I take apart.  I
think
> I also need to order the gasket/s for the air intake manifold, as
> that needs to come off to replace the thermostat.  Not sure if the
> thermostat is bad, but since I am taking it out to check, I might
as
> well replace.  The waterpump seems fine, and is dry and quiet.

[moderator snip]