[DML] Replacing thermostat and coolant.

My car overheated on Saturday, dumping a lot of coolant in my
driveway through the overflow.  I ordered a new thermostat, and have
two new left and right main hoses to replace the existing spongy
ones.  I am also waiting for the stainless overflow bottle to
arrive.  I want all the parts together before I take apart.  I think
I also need to order the gasket/s for the air intake manifold, as
that needs to come off to replace the thermostat.  Not sure if the
thermostat is bad, but since I am taking it out to check, I might as
well replace.  The waterpump seems fine, and is dry and quiet.

My overheating issue has been intermittent, as I have written on
this post before - I was just waiting for the stainless bottle
before checking some items.  I can go on one trip and no problems,
then on another the temp gauge wouild creep up, then drop again, and
be fine.  This Saturday, the gauge climbed to 240 deg., then dropped
again to normal, then creeped up again as I got the car home.  After
parking it, it dumped hot coolant.  Perhaps it's not the thermostst,
btu since I was replacing hoses, I thought I'd rule the thermostat
out too.

Is this job involved, or relatively easy?  Any other parts I need or
surprises to be aware of when I replace these parts?

The radiator was replaced by previous owner a few months ago, and is
new 3-core type.

Also, it's been years since I've worked on a coolant system. After
replacing hoses, thermostat and bottle, how do I refill with
coolant?  My car has the bleeder kit installed.  Do I just keep
filling coolant into the over flow bottle and run the engine to
cycle through until the level stabilizes in the bottle?  Also, what
coolant is best, and do I need to mix with distilled water?

If it isn't the thermostat, I guess my next check is the otterstat?

Thanks for any help,

Paul