[DML] Cruise control - no joy!

I installed the Audiovox ccs-100 on my D, following Ryan's great
site and the included instructions. Tried it out, didn't work.
Checked everything according to the manual, all voltages present at
the correct pins, connection to coil Ohm-ed out, vacuum connected to
the large hose that enters the left pontoon, air gap at the pickut
1/8", but I didn't get the flashes of the LED in the control unit
when each signal was tried. So I called audiovox and they said it
was probably bad. Called Brand's Place for a return and ordered
another. Found out from the manager there that several units of the
ccs-100 have been returned as defective recently. I ordered another
anyway and installed it on my D.

This time, I see very faint flashes of the LED, but still no
operation. The serial number of the new unit is far removed from
that of the first one I tried, so I had high hopes that if there
were a series of bad units, I would now have a good one.

Ryan, you mentioned in earlier posts when you were trying to get
your unit working that you had insufficient vacuum. What were you
readings and how did you fix it? I am tied in at the location you
suggested on your site.

I am about to order the Dakota Digital electronic cruise control
that uses the spedometer cable to control the speed and requires no
vacuum. Has anyone on the list used one of these successfully? It is
$250 vs $80 for the Audiovox, but I really wanted to get this
working before the LOOONG drive to Houston Thursday.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Marty Galbreath