[DML] Re:More mystery... Pulling an Automatic

[DML] Re:More mystery... Pulling an Automatic

I decided not try running the engine without a trans in the car. Too
much extra work.

If you've been following along - I put the automatic back in the car
this morning (I'm getting good at this - 3 hours out, 2 hours in).
 Knowing what I know now, I'd rather R&R an automatic than a manual
- once you know the tricks it comes out faster.

I started it back up and the noise was still there. With futher
careful listening (and some choice words), we decided that it sounded
like hydraulics noises in the converter and decided to let it run a
while. I finished filling the trans fluid as it warmed up, and all-
of=-a-sudden it quieted down and sounds perfect. Go figure.

At any rate, my current theory is that whatever piece of crud was
stuck got unstuck and everything is back to normal. This is a car
that had been stored for the past 15 years or so, and there are still
some parts that are apparently waking up.

Yes Bill - this is the car I bought last year in SC and am doing a
relatively complete restoration to re-sell. I had the engine out of
the car and replaced every last seal and gasket, short of removing
the heads. I also replaced all the exhaust hardware and refinished
the manifolds.

When its done this will be a very nicely prepped near-show-quality
driver car. 81 Black Gas Flap Automatic. Emissions legal in all 50
states. More info to come as I finish it up.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>